TEXAS PIKE PLACE
Where to Begin?
1. See house listings, lending information, and learn about the home buying process all on this page
2. Determine how much you can afford: contact a lender(s) to seek mortgage preapproval
3. Pay attention to Cook emails & memos regarding applications and updates
4. Read the application ahead of time and learn the requirements for applying
5. Submit a completed and signed application during the 10-day application window
6. Choose your house and sign the purchase agreement if you are selected
Owen County Workforce Housing FAQ's
Why is Cook doing this project?
We’ve heard consistent feedback from you and the community that finding housing in south-central Indiana is challenging. We believe that the dream of buying a home should be accessible to everyone and are taking steps to improve the availability of workforce housing. The recent sale of some of our CFC properties will allow us to redirect and invest in the development of homes in our local communities.
Where is the property located?
The property is located along the east side of Texas Pike in Spencer, Indiana, just north of SR 46.
How large is the entire neighborhood property?
The entire property is approximately 62 acres.
How many houses will be built?
Our goal is to build over 90 homes at this location and a total of up to 300 homes across south-central Indiana.
How big are the houses?
On average, the homes will be 1,400 square feet and have 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. Some will be bigger and some might be smaller. We are also looking at building 4-bedroom homes in future phases.
How big are the properties?
Most lots will be approximately 100 feet wide by 150 feet deep, which is about 1/3 of an acre. See the Site Plan (PDF) for details.
When will the homes be completed?
We anticipate the first several homes in Phase 1 will be ready in Spring 2023.
If I purchase one of these homes, when can I move in?
The move-in date will be based on several factors, including the completion of construction, an inspection for occupancy, and the mortgage closing date. The Owen
County Economic Development Corporation will assist with facilitating the purchasing process. More information on the process will be provided at a later date.
How much will the homes cost?
Our goal is to sell the homes for approximately $200,000.